This website is managed by the Department of Communications and the Arts.
This statement outlines the department's collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in relation to your use of this website in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
We will publish separate collection notices on our website when more detailed information is needed to explain our practices in specific circumstances (e.g. for program management, projects or submissions).
Use and disclosure
The department only uses personal information collected through correspondence to the Minister for the purposes for which it was provided.
The department does not share personal information about individuals with other government agencies, organisations, third parties or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- the individual would reasonably expect, or has been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies
- in order to answer your enquiry or when the department may need to seek guidance or advice from a third party agency in order to respond accurately
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life or health
- it is required or authorised by law
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue
- where it is authorised to do so pursuant to the Privacy Act
When you email us personal information, or provide it to us through the ‘contact us' option provided through this website:
- we will record your email address and any other information submitted in order to respond to your enquiry
- we will use this information for the purpose for which you provide it
- we may need to seek guidance or advice from a third party agency in order to respond to your enquiry accurately
- we will not add your email address to a mailing list, unless it was provided for that purpose
If you don't provide us with a minimum level of information (email address or phone number), we may not be able to respond to you.
Email: Privacy [at] communications.gov.au
Post: The Privacy Contact Officer
Department of Communications and the Arts
PO Box 2154
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Privacy Collection Notices
Minister [at] communications.gov.au mailbox
Please note, the information you provide in any form (including personal information such as your name, email address, phone number and enquiry details) will be used to investigate your enquiry and may be provided to the Department of Communications and the Arts to investigate and answer accordingly.
The department will not provide your personal information to any other person or organisation unless it is in order to investigate your enquiry or it is required by law.
This means that your information or enquiry details may be provided to a third party agency or relevant service provider (wholesale or retail) for an answer, if the department is unable to provide an answer, or if it is more appropriate for that agency or service provider to investigate and respond to your issue/s.
Alternatively, the department may provide your information to another agency or service provider to seek advice or guidance in order to respond.
If you do not provide a means of communication (email address or phone number) we will be unable to provide a response to your enquiry.
When you browse the Minister's website, our server logs the following information which is provided by your browser for statistical purposes only:
- the type of browser and operating system you are using
- your top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.)
- the address of the referring site (for example, the previous site that you visited)
- your server's IP address (a number which is unique to the machine through which you are connected to the internet usually one of your service provider's machines
- the date and time of your visit
- the address of the pages accessed and the documents downloaded
This information is only used for the purposes of statistical analysis, system administration, monitoring of the Minister's website security, customisation of the Minister's website to user needs, evaluation, research, and development. No attempt will be made to identify users, except in the unlikely event of an investigation.
All data described in this Privacy Statement are stored securely, and archived for a period of at least 12 months and possibly up to seven years.
A cookie is an electronic token that is passed to your browser and your browser passes it back to the server whenever a page is sent to you.
Our server generates one cookie which is used to keep track of the pages you have accessed while using our server. The cookie allows you to page back and forward through the Minister's website and return to pages you have already visited. The cookie exists only for the time you are accessing our server.
By submitting any personal information through the Minister's website online forms please be aware that your personal information will be disclosed to the department and potentially other appropriate third parties, other Commonwealth Government Agencies (including statutory agencies) for the purposes of responding to your request and also for program administration, regulation and evaluation if that was the primary purpose.
Search terms that you enter when using the websites search engine/database are collected, but are not associated with any other information that we collect. We use these search terms to ascertain what people are looking for at the Minister's website, and to improve the services provided.
The Minister's website contains links to other sites and may also use social media sites, for example, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter, to make it easy to share information. These other sites may use web measurement tools, customisation technologies and persistent cookies to inform the service they provide to their users. The department is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other sites. The Minister's website does not use, maintain or share Personally Identifiable Information made through these other (including social media) sites.
We maintain and update personal information collected from or published on our website as necessary or when we are advised by individuals that their personal information has changed.
To improve the services offered by the Minister's website, we seek feedback from our users. If you have any comments on the technical operations or functionality of the website, please use this contact form. Answering the questions on this form is voluntary and does not in any way affect your access to the Minister's website.